Search


This c.1950 photograph shows the slight bellying at the top of the original lantern spire compared with the straighter edges of the replacement lantern, constructed in 1967. Up to that time, the lantern had been lit by gas. The supply pipe and the remains of the pipe fixings can still be seen on one of the columns.
The picture also gives another view of some of the buildings on the west side. It appears that when this picture was taken, the single-storey shop on the left had lost its roof or had been demolished and replaced by a wall with a door in it. The white, three-storey building was Widnall Bootmaker’s shop that appears in the Directories from 1890. The shop seen through the central arch of the Buttercross was the Post Office until 1936 when it moved to its present site in Long Acre



Home Page | About Us | Links | Contact Us | Newsletter

Site developed by Ambrow Limited | Published by the Bingham Heritage Trails Association | All content is © BHTA
for site credits click here

Back to
top of page