- BINGHAM: AN OVERVIEW
- HISTORY OF BINGHAM
- STUDY OF OLD MAPS
- BUILT HERITAGE
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- FARMING IN BINGHAM
- BINGHAM AT WAR
- BINGHAM'S RAILWAYS
- ORAL HISTORY
- NATURAL HISTORY
ARCHAEOLOGICAL TEST PITS IN BINGHAM
List of Test Pits
OLD MILL SITE, TITHBY ROAD
- It is suspected that there was a wind mill on this site as early as 1586. There is certainly documentary evidence for one in 1776 and 1841. In 1841 the miller, William Hemstock, lived in 21 Church Street, but there was a cottage near the mill in which some of the Cowdall family lived. They were described as chimney sweeps.
- It is not known when the mill fell into disuse, but a painting entitled Hemstock’s mill dated 1877 shows it in a state of dilapidation.
- At the time of the tithe map (1841) the top end of Tithby Road curved to the east around the mill yard. The road was straightened out some time later.
- Two pits were dug here. The first was abandoned when it encountered at a shallow depth an old road surface. This is situated to the south of the road now called Mill Hill.
- The next pit was dug about 5 m closer to the mill mound. Apart from two sherds of Cistercian Ware there was a small amount of 19th C pottery.
- The pit was sited here to find out something about the mill yard, but nothing of significance was learned.
Click here for a detailed account of the pit.