- BINGHAM: AN OVERVIEW
- HISTORY OF BINGHAM
- STUDY OF OLD MAPS
- BUILT HERITAGE
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- FARMING IN BINGHAM
- BINGHAM AT WAR
- BINGHAM'S RAILWAYS
- ORAL HISTORY
- NATURAL HISTORY
28 and 30 Nottingham Road
These houses sit between The White House, and the new bungalow (currently a nursery school) in its grounds, and Brewsters Close. Number 30 was built in 1967. Number 28 looks to be from the 1920s and the building is not shown on the 1915 OS map. But all is not as it seems! Within the structure of number 28 is evidence of a much older building, thought to be an engulfed cottage.
An abstract of title takes the history of the land on which the two houses are located back to 1897 when it was sold by Annie Ekring and Robert Hartford to J R Anderson. None of these names appear in censuses for Bingham of the time. There was an acre of ‘arable’ close with buildings, which were not described as messuage, which how one would expect any house to be described.
The site of the two houses (in blue on the tithe map, above) was plot 329 on the tithe map of 1841, owned by Widow Eakings and rented by Jonathon Crooke who owned the adjacent plot, 330, to the west. This was described as an Inn and in the trade directory named as The William IV. The 1776 map merely records the plot as part of a large area of sundry freeholds. There is no plan of the freehold lands so we do not know of there was a building. It is entirely possisble that there was a cottage which decayed and became used as a shed.
The tithe map shows a small square building (marked in red on the tithe map (above)) at the eastern edge of the plot, but this is not mentioned in the apportionment details and was probably the shed postulated above. This would be consistent with the 1897 mention of buildings.
It is shown also on Sanderson’s map of 1835, the OS map of 1884 (above left) and the 1915 map (above right), albeit difficult to see as it is so small!
In 1919 the land was bordered :
On the west by White House, in ownership of Andrew Shepperson.
On the east by land and houses owned by John Wright, later owned by Arthur Morris.
On the north by land owned by Samuel Walker Chettle. He was a large landowner in Bingham, including the land and windmill at School Lane on part of which Kirkland House was built.
On the south by ‘Grantham Road Long Acre’ – i.e. before it became Nottingham Road.
In 1919 the close was sold by Anderson and his mortgagee, Mrs EW Smart, to Robert William Petty an Athletic outfitter. Petty exchanged strips of land with Arthur Morris who owned the courtyard of houses on the eastern boundary, Morris took the red piece and Petty the blue piece on the plan shown on the below.
In 1920 Petty took a mortgage with Nottingham BS for £450 secured by ‘hereditaments’. Thus it seems Petty built number 28 around 1920. At the time Petty was described as a builder, so one might take this as further evidence that he built number 28, possibly incorporating some of the old building. There is some evidence within the house of old beams and walls. He named the house ‘The Den’.
Petty died in 1934 and his executors sold the property to Harold Baggaley, gentleman of Bingham for £685. Baggaley sold in 1949 to ASW Crockford of Plumtree for £2750. By this time the house was known as ‘Elim’ (‘mile’ backwards?). Crockford sold later in 1949 to GA and AM Rouse for £3200. In 1961 they sold to Harry and Gwendoline Speneley for £4000 and it had now become ‘Orchard Cottage’. In 1966 they sold to Ancona Properties for £10250.
Ancona then sold to John Martin the cottage and land amounting to 1135 square yards for £5600. It is not clear from the abstract which piece of land they retained from the original acre.
Marrtin sold Orchard cottage to Derek Lowe in 1967 and he then sold the land for building number 30 to Daleside Developments for £1250. Planning permission to build a detached house and garage was granted by Bingham Rural District Council in July 1967. Later that year the house was sold to Roy Clarke. The conveyance is missing so we do not know the price, but we do know he took a mortgage of £5525 with Federation Mutual Assurance.
Clarke sold to Trevor Walker in 1971 for £7400 and in 1975 he sold to Richard and Sue Strange for £15950.